Dressmaking Week 7 

So Tuesday was a 7th Dressmaking session (They are flying by!). Only just got round to typing it up because I haven’t had my laptop and can’t for the life of me type on my phone. Fat fingers strike again!

The lesson got off to a start with a Dressmaking version of a guess the word behind you game, kind of like the name game from that Richard and Judy thing but without the turning around. Our team got off to a flying start but snatched defeat from the jaws of victory . The Balance Wheel was our downfall. 

Next we went on to make scrap fabric flowers. Now I’m not a flowery person but really do like these and they will be great for jazzing up a plain pair of curtains that I have in my room. they are so simple to make too, just cut out a long strip of fabric, mine was 19”X 3”, and stitch the long edges together with a basic running stitch (just in out) gathering as you go. When it’s fully gathered pop in a few stitches to keep it in place and sew on a button. EASY AS THAT!

Next was time to get Bernie out. Bernie is the Bernina sewing machine that I use in class, even though she is old I like her for the power and the noisy clunk factor! Everyone knows when I sew! It also has a side loading spool holder which is easier for me than these newfangled top loading thingymajiggers!

I used it to sew up the darts marked out from my pattern. Darts are used to give a pattern some structure, to nip in the waist or back. They are easy to do, fold the fabric in half, sew from the bottom to the top pointed part, leave some string then press towards wherever the pattern says. I then sewn up the shoulders of the bodice and attached the interfacing to the armholes. 

It was soon time to pack up, just as I was getting into it. These dressmaking lessons pass too quickly but they do say that time flies when you’re having fun!

Toodly pip!